Live from the WAN-IFRA Study Tour
By Nancy Lane, President, Local Media Association
Study tour participants with Uppsala Nya Tidning Vice President of Sales & Marketing Theo Blanco. Fifth from left is Local Media Foundation Board Chair Steve Parker.
Uppsala Nya Tidning serves the university town of Uppsala located one hour from Stockholm. Their daily has a circulation of approximately 57,000. Highlights from this very interesting visit with Theo Blanco, VP Sales & Marketing:
- Sales reps are not allowed to sell less than 3 products.
- They developed an in-house agency called UNiT. Product offerings include web development, mobile, TV, competitive media & more.
- Ad revenue breakdown: 60% print, 35% online, the rest is mobile and other.
- They launched TV in 2010 and refer to it as a "hyper-local CNN."
- According to Blanco, "It doesn't matter if we lose circulation, as long as we gain eyeballs."
- Their sales staff sells all products but they did recently hire a small digital team to sell new products (like deals and Google ad words).