Managing Director, LMA Technology Resource Center Local Media Association/Local Media Foundation
- Full-time employee, 2-year contract (renewal possible, contingent on funding).
- Location: Anywhere. LMA/LMF is a virtual organization. You need only reliable internet access and a commercial airport nearby for occasional travel, once conditions allow.
- Starts in January 2022.
- Reports to the LMA chief operating officer.
- Total compensation opportunity up to $100,000/year, base plus incentives. LMA/LMF offers a competitive benefits package including choice of health plans, 401(k) and generous PTO.
Local Media Association strives to help local news/media organizations achieve their business goals. As part of that effort, in early 2022 we will launch the LMA Technology Resource Center, with support from Google News Initiative. The Center will assist media organizations with strategies and consulting aimed at improving selection, implementation, optimization and long-term success of enabling technologies. The Managing Director will build and lead the Center, working with the LMA team, independent consultants, industry R&D partners and technology service providers.
Essence of the job:
From the outset, most of the Managing Director’s efforts will focus on these responsibilities:
- Communicate and convene with technology leaders within local media organizations of all sizes and types, at corporate and property levels, to develop understanding of technology needs and challenges and find common ground where possible.
- Develop and share deep understanding of leading platforms, service providers and enabling technologies for local media, including:
- Content/digital asset/site management platforms (including video)
- Digital distribution platforms (email, native apps, OTT/CTV/streaming, social)
- Advertising management platforms (web display, video, programmatic, paid search/social)
- Consumer (aka reader) revenue platforms (subscriptions, memberships)
- Customer relationship management (B2B and B2C)
- General business systems (financial, H.R., office/communications)
- Build and consult with cohorts of local media organizations with like/similar needs; help to improve their strategic processes for:
- Selecting and implementing key technologies
- Making build-vs.-buy decisions
- Refining requirements and negotiating with providers
- Finding qualified people and key resources to operate and support technology platforms
- Serve as a thought leader on technology applications in the media industry. Develop industry reports on technology best practices and new ideas, as well as conference programming on technology strategies for LMA events.
- Take a significant role in optimizing, administering and supporting LMA’s own technology platforms, in cooperation with the COO and LMA team — including WordPress, Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, Zoom, Slack, Mailchimp/Constant Contact and Impexium (association management platform).
Characteristics we seek:
- Familiarity and experience with the North American local media landscape (all forms, including newspapers, broadcasters, digital news organizations etc.; all sizes and structures; “mainstream,” alternative and publishers of color) and current technology and business issues in the industry. Experience in local news media companies or related service providers is a plus.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills — oral, written and visual.
- Initiative and self-reliance; ability to manage several equivalent priorities; ability to collaborate with peers inside and constituents outside of LMA; and ability to get “hands-on” as a key member of the LMA operating team.
It probably won’t work out if:
- You’re a developer/engineer who wants to build new software. This position is all about technology strategy and its connections to local media business success. LMA is not a software firm.
- You are accustomed to managing a large or multilayer staff, and delegating hands-on work. The LMA team is small and the org chart has very few levels. This position will mix high-level, strategic thought leadership with times when you just have to do the work yourself, on tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
- You have no interest in or passion for the mission of local journalism, sustainability of the media organizations that provide it, or the elevation of voices from and about underserved and underrepresented communities.
Want to be considered?
Send a résumé and cover letter explaining why you’re ideal for this role to: Jay Small, chief operating officer, email@example.com.
The deadline to apply is Monday, November 22, 2021, but we will review applicants on a rolling basis.
About Local Media Association / Local Media Foundation
Local Media Association brings all media together to share, network, collaborate and more. More than 3,000 newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, digital-only publications, and research and development partners engage with LMA as members or constituents of our programs. As a 501(c)(6) trade association, LMA is focused on the business side of local media. Its programs and labs focus on revenue growth and new business models. LMA helps local media companies develop their strategies via cutting-edge programs, conferences, webinars, research and training.
Local Media Foundation serves as the innovation and transformation affiliate of LMA. Incorporating our four strategic pillars — business transformation, journalism funded by philanthropy, industry collaboration, and sustainability for publishers of color — LMF helps provide local media companies the strategies and resources for meaningful innovation and impactful journalism projects.