“We are intensely focused on helping local media companies discover new and sustainable business models.”
Local Media Association brings all media together to share, network, collaborate and more. More than 3,000 newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, directories, digital news sites, and research and development partners engage with LMA as members or constituents of our programs.
As a 501(c)(6) trade association, LMA focuses on the business side of local media. Our programs and labs focus on revenue growth and new business models. Current areas of focus are reader revenue, branded content, OTT/Connected TV, first-party data strategies and journalism funded by philanthropy.
Incorporating our four strategic pillars — business transformation, journalism funded by philanthropy, industry collaboration, and sustainability for publishers of color — LMA helps local media companies develop their strategies via cutting-edge programs, conferences, webinars, research and training.
Current LMA initiatives include:
- LMA Digital Club, with over 50 members who meet regularly to share, network and learn
- The Branded Content Project, which provides tools, training and content to help local news organizations take advantage of this promising revenue opportunity.
- Back-end management of the 2021 Reader Revenue Accelerator for the Facebook Journalism Project.
- The Lab for Journalism Funding: 16 publishers in the first cohort collectively raised more than $5 million.
- Conferences, webinars, training sessions and more.
LMA members range from large publicly traded companies to smaller, family-owned operations. The common connection is the desire to transform their traditional media companies’ cultures and business models, by embracing new technology and ideas. LMA members are among the most progressive and forward-thinking in the industry.
Members include leading independent and family-owned local news organizations, as well as some of the largest public and privately held media companies in North America, such as:
- The McClatchy Company
- The E. W. Scripps Company
- Nexstar Media Group
- Gannett / USA TODAY NETWORK
- Sinclair Broadcast Group
- Graham Media Group
- Metroland Media/Torstar
- Beasley Media Group
- The Seattle Times
- Star Tribune
- Adams Publishing Group
- Texas Tribune
- WBEZ/Chicago Public Media
- Swift Communications
- Saga Communications
- The Atlanta Voice
- Rust Communications
- Allen Media Broadcasting
- Wick Communications
- New York Amsterdam News
- The Daily Memphian