Required Standard Text
Local Media Foundation requires appropriate standard text on all donation solicitations, including ask letters, grant applications, and donation websites. This can be included at the bottom as a footnote but must be used verbatim in your donation requests.
[Project Name & Description provided to you.] Donations to Local Media Foundation for this project are tax-deductible to the extent of the law. No goods or services are provided in exchange for contributions. Please consult a tax advisor for details. The program is administered by Local Media Foundation, tax ID #36‐4427750, a Section 501(c)(3) charitable trust affiliated with Local Media Association.
Fundraising Review and Approval
LMF requires a review and approval for ALL of the Project’s written solicitations, grant applications, or other fundraising appeals. Please provide a 2-3 day turnaround time to review your materials.
Givebutter and credit card fees
Givebutter charges for credit card processing (2.9% of donation amount plus 30 cents) and its own service fee (3% of donation amount); however, Givebutter provides donors the option of covering these fees so the intended donation amount is not reduced. We have found that 97% of donors cover the processing fees, and as a result, the effective rate of Givebutter/credit card processing fees is less than 1%.
LMF administrative fee
Local Media Foundation takes a 7% administrative fee from the donations received, net of Givebutter and credit card fees. The LMF fee covers our costs to set up and maintain the campaigns, process payments, disburse funds, and report to the IRS.
All check donations should be made payable to Local Media Foundation and include your project name on the memo line.
Check donations should be mailed to:
Local Media Foundation
P.O. Box 85015
Chicago, IL 60689-5033
*note this is our bank lockbox; all checks should be sent to this address to ensure quick check processing
Fundraising payouts occur monthly. If your project has received funds, you will receive an email notifying you when a payment has been made.
Privacy rules do not allow us to pass the names and email addresses of donors on to publishers unless the donors opt-in specifically to give permission. We have a way in Givebutter to ask the appropriate opt-in questions and can share the email addresses of those donors who opt-in and the specific permissions that they grant.
- LMF and the Project are separate legal, tax, and accounting entities. While LMF will manage the administration of any charitable funds the Project raises and files all federal tax documents related to charitable fundraising, the Project is responsible for maintaining its financial records and tax filings and payments at the state and local level.
- For each Project, LMF establishes a restricted fund to receive and manage gifts received on behalf of the Project. The Sponsor, not the Project, must receive all charitable funds. LMF controls the administration of the restricted fund, and the Project must use these funds solely for its intended purpose as defined in the Project agreement.
- LMF is not responsible for the Project’s grant reporting, programming, or operations. These operations and incurred liabilities to third parties are the ultimate responsibility of the Project.
- All donation pages will contain legally required notices and identify Local Media Foundation as the Project operator.
- LMF does not pay the Project’s vendors or contractors. All funds are paid directly to the Project.
- If the funds are not used as specified in the fiscal sponsorship agreement, funds can be taken away and redirected to meet the charitable intent.
- LMF will provide IRS Form 1099s to Projects directly disbursed funding to the extent required by law.
- The Project is responsible for filing an annual report with LMF that includes an update on how the funds were used as well as progress made toward the intended purpose of the Project.
Sample Givebutter text
Sample thank you text
Making the Most of the Local News Fund
Newsfuel (funding opportunities database)